WOMEN’S EMPOWERMENT PRINCIPLES (WEPS)
Women’s Empowerment Principles (WEPs) offer practical guidance to business and the private sector on how to empower women in the workplace, marketplace and community. Developed through a partnership between UN Women and the United Nations Global Compact, the Principles are designed to support companies in reviewing existing policies and practices — or establishing new ones — to realize women’s empowerment.
In October 2011, the Metro NY chapter held an event at the Consulate General of the Republic of Poland, which provided an expert panel for more than 200 attendees on the Women’s Empowerment Principles and its impact on businesses.
- Establish high-level corporate leadership for gender equality.
- Treat all women and men fairly at work — respect and support human rights and
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of all women and men workers.
- Promote education, training and professional development for women.
- Implement enterprise development, supply chain and marketing practices that empower
- Promote equality through community initiatives and advocacy.
- Measure and publicly report on progress to achieve gender equality.